After trying the baking lark Ive discovered I’m no baker. Although satisfying to make, they always turned out almost inedible, flat and unsightly. I’m no natural clearly, so I thought I would try my hand at ice cream making! There are so many recipes and you can be creative by mixing it up with your favourite dry ingredients. This also makes it fun for the kids to join in.
I use a Ice Cream Maker (the one I have can be found here), but you can follow this recipe without one. I would recommend a machine vs the freeze and stir method to be honest. Using a machine is so easy, I pre freeze the tub and then simply pour in the ingredients. I then turn it on and leave it to do its thing! With the freeze and stir method you have to check back on your ice cream every hour and give it a good stir. Leave it too long and it can turn into a hard frozen icy unworkable mess!
I chose to use light ingredients to save on some calories but feel free to change to full fat, despite that even the light gives this ice cream a lovely creamy texture and taste.
- 1 tin of light condensed milk (450g)
- 2 cans of light Squirty cream (500g)
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 6 rich tea biscuits
- 5 meringue nests
- Mix together the condensed milk, the zest and juice of the two lemons and the lemon extract.
- Fold in the squirty cream.
- Freeze & Stir Method: Place in an airtight container and place in freezer. Stir around once an hour and continue to do so until nearly hardened (approximately 4 hours). Make sure it doesn’t go to hard to add in dry ingredients.
Ice Cream Machine Method: Pour mixture into machine to churn. Churn for time recommend by manufacturers, minus 5 minutes. Mine takes 35 minutes so churned for 30.
- Crush your meringue and biscuits. I put them into a sandwich bag and crushed with a rolling pin.
- Once ice cream has been in the freezer/ churned for time above, add and mix in your dry ingredients, leaving a little bit spare to sprinkle on top once you have stirred in the majority.k\[g
- Freeze and Stir Method: Freeze for approximately a further 2 hours, stirring half way through.
Ice Cream Machine Method: Churn for a further 5 minutes.
This really is such a scrummy recipie with a cheese cakey taste. Another one I’ve tried making is a low calorie strawberry ice cream (only 160 calories for the full tub!!!). No guilt but with an indulgent taste! You can find the recipe I followed here. Here it is pictured below. Yummy!